Tuesday, January 5, 2016

How I Treated My Panic Attacks and Anxiety—Without Pills

4:08 PM

At 24 years old, one writer experienced his first panic attack—and the scary physical sensations that go along with it. Take note of the natural solutions that helped him take control of his anxiety.

In early November 2012, two EMTs wheeled me out of my office in a wheelchair. I had lost the ability to stand up. "What the hell is going on?" I thought. I was just 24 years old at the time, and migraines had been my only prior health issue.

Approximately one week before that, Hurricane Sandy had hit, and, not-so-luckily for me, I lived smack in the center of downtown New York City. Translation: I was without power and water. When the storm finally subsided, work resumed, and I was ready to reestablish a routine. I didn't take into account how exhausted I was from a week of traveling uptown to charge my phone, walking over the Brooklyn Bridge to crash at a friend's, and cleaning the rotting food out of my fridge. The first day back, I had to force myself to stay awake and get through the day.

I never tolerated caffeine very well, but I needed an energy boost. About six cups of green tea later and a few hours into work, I swore I was having a heart attack. Out of nowhere, I became frighteningly dizzy and my pulse skyrocketed. I opened my mouth to breathe, but my lungs weren't letting in any air. I was inhaling so rapidly that my limbs felt numb, and I was on the verge of losing consciousness. I thought to myself, great, this is how it ends. (I only learned later that research suggests there may be a connection between caffeine and panic attacks.)

After an entire lifetime of avoiding ambulances, I was riding in one to Beth Israel Hospital. I was terrified to find out what was wrong with me. Maybe it was an allergic reaction? A heart condition? After waiting for many hours, I finally met with a doctor who told me that I had a panic attack. She offered me a prescription for an anxiety relieving medication and left. I had always dismissed panic attacks as B.S., so I refused the medicine and went home.

Over the next several months, I had one more giant panic attack while grocery shopping, and experienced continuous lightheadedness and heart palpitations. I felt like something else health-related had to be the underlying cause, but after several medical tests and therapy sessions, I accepted that what I was experiencing were the real physical sensations that go along with anxiety.

The big question on my mind was how could I manage my anxiety on a daily basis without taking pills? After trying many methods, what ended up working best for me was a combination of clean, healthy eating, acupuncture, therapy, and vigorous exercise such as high-intensity interval training. I started to feel better, both mentally and physically.

There is a stigma associated with anxiety, but shaking off the shame tied to therapy and talking to someone who specializes in stress management can be a life-changer. As with many of life's challenges, the first step is admitting there's a problem, and the second is getting help. I'm glad I did both of those, and I encourage everyone who is quietly suffering to do the same. The process of figuring out what helps you manage your anxiety can take weeks or even months, but if you stay consistent, you'll start to feel the calm after the storm.

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2013 TOTAL HEALTH NEWS N VIDEOS. All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top